Best Minivan for Families is the 2015 Honda Odyssey
Odyssey has Family-Friendly Features and Space
U.S. News and World Report has once again named the Honda Odyssey as the Best Minivan for Families. This is the fifth consecutive year the Odyssey has been named. The CR-V was named as the Best Compact SUV for Families.
“Recognition from the Best Cars for Families awards for our top-selling CR-V and Odyssey demonstrates that the Honda brand values align with the needs of family buyers in terms of performance, fuel efficiency, and safety performance,” Jeff Conrad, Honda division senior vice president and general manager, said in a press release. “The CR-V and Odyssey were designed to offer the ideal vehicle packaging for transporting families in comfort and style positioning Honda strongly in the competition for family buyers.”
Finalists included the Kia Sedona and Toyota Sienna. According to U.S. News, the Odyssey was chosen because “it offers features like a cooler, rear-seat entertainment, and a built-in vacuum, as well as handling that car reviewers describe as nimble and athletic.” Here’s a complete picture of why the Honda Odyssey is the best minivan for families.
The Odyssey comes standard with plenty of features that accommodate a family. Each trim level adds on even more family functionality, which helps make the Odyssey the best minivan for families.
- Front Bag Hook Standard on all trim levels, the bag hook can help hold bags open or keep them in place.
- Removable Front Center Console with Storage Standard on EX and above trim levels, the center console has four beverage holders and a hidden storage space that is large enough for a purse. The console can be removed completely for easier access to the rear seats.
- Flip-Up Trash Bag Ring Standard on EX and above trim levels, the back of the center console has a flip-up ring that easily holds a bag in place for trash.
- Cool Box Standard on the EX-L, Touring, and Touring Elite, the cool box keeps drinks and snacks cool while you drive. The storage bin is large enough to fit six 12-ounce cans or four 20-ounce bottles. The cool box function can be turned off with a button, so the bin can be used for other storage.
- Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control Standard on EX and above trim levels, the automatic climate control allows passengers in the second and third rows to choose their perfect temperature.
- Rear Entertainment System Available on the EX-L and standard on the Touring and Touring Elite, the rear entertainment system has a high-resolution, 800-by-480 resolution screen. The Touring Elite model has a 16.2-inch ultrawide screen with HDMI technology. The screen has split-screen capability so two shows can be displayed at the same time. The HDMI technology allows gaming systems and media players to be plugged into the system.
- HondaVAC Available only on the Touring Elite, the HondaVAC is a built-in vacuum that is housed in the rear of the Odyssey. The vacuum’s hose extends to the front of the vehicle and comes with two attachments and a removable waste bin.
- Integrated Sunshades The EX and EX-L models have sunshades in the second rows, while the Touring and Touring Elite models have sunshades in the second and third rows. The sunshades can easily be stored or they can be pulled up to block out the sun’s rays.
To easily fit up to eight passengers in the EX and above models (seven passengers in the LX), Honda has created a flexible second row. The second row has a feature known as wide mode. With wide mode, the outboard seats slide 1.5 inches to each side, which makes room for three car seats in the second row. The center seat in the second row can also be removed so passengers can get in and out of the third row with ease. The second row center seat has three beverages holders that are utilized when the seat back is folded down. The center seat can also move forward 5.5 inches which makes it an ideal seat for an infant since the seat is more accessible to passengers in the front row. There are lower anchors for car seats in all three seating positions in the second row and on the two outboard seats in the third row. There are tether anchors in all six seating positions. This means six car seats will fit in the Odyssey at a single time and is one of the reasons the Odyssey is the best minivan for families!
The Odyssey is able to transport a full 4-by-8 sheet of plywood laid flat by removing the second row and stowing the third row. The third row is a one-motion, 60/40 split magic seat. Stowing the third row is as easy as pulling the strap that is attached to the back of the seat. Pulling the strap releases the seat which then allows it to easily fold backward and into the floor of the Odyssey. Just pull up on the handle to put the seats back. With all of the seats in place, there is 38.4 cubic feet of space. There is 93.1 cubic feet of space with the third row stowed, and 148.5 cubic feet behind the first row.
Just like the interior, the exterior features on the Odyssey help make transporting a family even easier.
- Power Sliding Doors Standard on the EX model and above, power sliding doors improve utility by making loading and unloading even easier.
- Power Tailgate Standard on the EX-L, Touring, and Touring Elite models, the power tailgate makes loading and unloading rear cargo even more convenient.
- Smart Entry When your key fob is near the Odyssey, your vehicle will lock or unlock with ease. This is a standard on the EX and above models.
Best Minivan for Families because of Safety
The 2015 Honda Odyssey is one of only two minivans to receive a “good” rating in the IIHS small front overlap crash test. Here are the Odyssey’s safety features:
- Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control
- Brake Assist
- Rearview Camera with Guidelines
- Advanced Airbag System
The EX-L and above models have a forward collision warning and lane departure warning. The Touring Elite has a blind spot information system.
Call Fisher Honda in Boulder, Colo., at 303-245-6417 to test drive the best minivan for families, the 2015 Honda Odyssey.