Learn How to Read a New Car’s Window Sticker
When reading the window sticker on a new car, chances are good that you focus on one thing—the price. But in case you didn’t know, the law requires that every new car’s window sticker (also known as a Monroney label) include some other helpful information, too.
At Fisher Honda, the premiere Denver area car dealership, we’re well-versed in the art of decoding those confusing window stickers. So without further ado, here are a few tips to demystify all of the information you’ll find on your potential ride’s Monroney label:
- Model Information can usually be found in the top left or right corner. In addition to basics like the model name, color, and year, you’ll also find less obvious specs like the engine and transmission combination and trim level.
- Pricing is generally located in two different places. The first is a “Pricing Information” section with an itemized list of options and fees, including the destination charge. The “MSRP” area is the total sticker price of the car before any special savings or deductions.
- A list of standard equipment breaks down all of the features that are already included in the MSRP. The features and equipment listed should be consistent with the model’s trim level. Optional equipment is detailed in another section, and will give you a rundown of all of the factory-installed additional features or packages that a particular car contains. Knowing what optional features are included is the best way to compare a car to other, similar models on the lot.
- Check the warranty information section to find out what kind of powertrain, bumper-to-bumper, and roadside assistance coverage you can expect, as well as the duration for each.
- The EPA (or Fuel Economy) Label gives you the average estimated Miles Per Gallon for every car. You’ll find the combined MPG number most useful when comparing several cars on the lot. In 2013, EPA labels were redesigned to include a scannable QR code that provides smartphone users with more detailed fuel economy statistics on the spot.
At Fisher Honda, We’ve Got Stickers (and Cars) Galore
We know that’s a lot of information for one post, so in case you’d like some in-person practice reading Monroney labels, we’d be glad to lend a hand. Come to Fisher Honda today and read our window stickers to your heart’s content. While you’re at it, you may as well test drive one of our brand-new 2013 Hondas!