Keep Your Kids Safe in the Car With Tips from Fisher Honda
Keeping Up to Date With Basic Child Car Safety
As any Honda dealer in Boulder can tell you, automobile accidents account for the largest number of deaths in children. Knowledge on how to properly restrain your child will dramatically increase their chance of surviving in an accident. Fisher Honda is proud to offer vehicles from this fine automaker, which are some of the highest-rated vehicles for safety on the market. Honda engineers pay close attention to safety technology. Children’s safety is of particular attention, which is why Honda equips many of its vehicles with its LATCH system, allowing you to easily and confidently anchor children’s seats throughout the vehicle.
Child Car Safety Tips
Regardless of the manufacturer, most vehicle safety systems are specifically geared to protect adult sized passengers — you don’t need at Boulder Honda dealer to tell you that much. The sticking point is that children have different safety needs than adults because of their smaller size, different weight distribution, and their inability to support themselves as well. Here are a few key tips to keeping your child-safe.
- Seatbelts are designed to hold adults that are at least 4 feet and 9 inches and between 80 and 100 pounds. Usually, children reach these benchmarks around 8 to 12 years of age. Children who do not meet this requirement should be seated in a booster seat so they are in the correct position for the seat belt to protect them.
- The shoulder strap of the seatbelt should never be placed under a child’s arm or behind their back. This greatly reduces the effectiveness of the seatbelt and increases the chance of serious injury or death in the case of an accident.
- Babies and toddlers should be kept in a rear-facing child safety seat in a rear-seat position, never in the front passenger seat. Keep them seated like this until their second birthday and the weight recommended by the seat manufacturer, usually 30 to 40 pounds.
- Periodically check that children stay properly fastened, especially on long road trips when they might get antsy and eager to wiggle out of their restraints.
- Remember that you are the best example to children by wearing your seat belt properly.
Learn More Safety Tips at Fisher Honda
If you’d like to learn more about how Honda works to keep families safe, we encourage you to choose Fisher Honda as your boulder dealership, and to chat with one of our friendly, knowledgeable team members. Visit us today to see what we can do for you!